Everything is looking a little different these days.
We are spending a lot more time at home and realizing just how important having a safe space is. Unfortunately, not everyone has that luxury. We say luxury right now because currently, basic human rights such as housing are not being met for all Edmontonians.
While we continue to house families and individuals experiencing homelessness, we thought we would take some time to help out our amazing friends, customers, clients and housing workers who are at home and not sure what to do.
We have compiled a list of all the cool things you can do during these trying times. Here we go:
1. Take a virtual tour of a U.S. National Park - https://techcrunch.com/2016/08/25/google-now-lets-you-explore-u-s-national-parks-via-360-degree-virtual-tours/
2. Sims 4 is only $5 for a limited time. Talk about nostalgia! - https://www.businessinsider.com/the-sims-4-is-on-sale-due-to-coronavirus-2020-3?fbclid=IwAR2UZMcoyisJ6IlRxUSCoZi4X6zHOuXqnvNELIZ5GgVb1oTEVIZvkRS9JFU
3. Here is a list of all the educational site offering free subscriptions due to school closures - https://kidsactivitiesblog.com/135609/list-of-education-companies-offering-free-subscriptions/
4. Have a virtual movie night with Netflix Party - https://www.netflixparty.com/
5. Support local businesses by shopping online. We have a pretty cool website. Just sayin'. https://findedmonton.com/collections/all-products-1
7. Meditate - www.calm.com
8. Attend virtual church services.
9. Host a virtual dinner party on Zoom or Facetime.
10. Learn a new language. This website offers free online courses to learn Cree - https://www.ats-group.net/learning/language-learn-cree.html There are also apps like Duolingo that are fun and easy to use.
11. Living with ADHD and not sure how to navigate during this time? Check out https://www.additudemag.com/ for resources.
12. Practice self care - https://tinybuddha.com/blog/45-simple-self-care-practices-for-a-healthy-mind-body-and-soul/
13. Take in a Broadway Show - https://www.broadwayhd.com/
14. Read. Some stores are offering free delivery - https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/edmonton-bookshop-offering-free-delivery-during-covid-19-pandemic-1.4859243
15. Play a board game.
16. Take up a new hobby like knitting or crochet. Donate what you make to local shelters.
17. Watch some hockey - United Sport & Cycle is keeping the hockey season alive with live streams of NHL 20. Check it out on their Facebook Page - https://www.facebook.com/UnitedSport1928/
18. Make some of those recipes you've saved and never got to.
19. Donate to your local food bank or shelter.
20. Make some fun TikTok videos.
21. Listen to a local Podcast.
22. Learn a new dance. YouTube has tons of tutorials.
23. Make some sick beats at Patatap.
24. Spring cleaning! Get those donations ready for local agencies.
25. Learn something new at Coursera.
26. Learn some sweet magic tricks - https://www.goodtricks.net/
27. Get some take out or delivery from one of the amazing local restaurants in Edmonton.
28. Rearrange your space.
29. Build a fort.
30. Write a letter to a friend or family member.
31. Do a puzzle.
32. DANCE PARTY! We suggest the top hits of the 2000s. Did someone say Macarena?
33. Make a music playlist and share it with your friends.
35. Paint your nails.
36. Clean your windows. Easy solution: Sunlight dish soap, vinegar and water. Use newspaper to wipe clean.
37. Upcycle a piece of furniture. Pinterest has some pretty cool ideas.
38. Clean up your shoes. They probably need a good scrubbing.
39. Make a photo book.
40. Put together a care package for someone in need.
41. Hop on Buzzfeed and take a quiz or two. Don't pretend you don't care about what vegetable you are based on your interior design choices.
42. Take a virtual Disneyland ride - https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/disney-vacations/watch-disney-rides-on-youtube
43. Visit a museum (virtually) - https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/virtual-tours-canada-museums_ca_5e7275c2c5b6eab77941338d
44. Tag us in a photo of your favorite "FIND" on social media - @findyeg
45. Relive the epic 2019 Raptor's Championship run on TSN & Sportsnet. Starts March 20.
46. See how the bears hibernate and get some tips - https://www.grousemountain.com/webcam-winter/bear-den-cam
47. Create a gallery wall in your home - https://findedmonton.com/blogs/news/gallery-walls-the-perfect-way-to-display-your-favourite-art
48.Neil Gaiman has you covered with stuff he thinks is cool - https://www.neilgaiman.com/Cool_Stuff
49. Banff Mountain Film Festival Films Online for Free - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1X4Uj9NaXuC1q4srCGZIOAlrqWUrXO2Hu/view
50. Check out the entire NASA catalog - https://www.diyphotography.net/nasa-makes-entire-media-library-publicly-accessible-copyright-free/
51. Lonely Planet has released a bunch of really cool virutal tours from around the world - https://www.lonelyplanet.com/articles/virtual-tours-travel-destinations?fbclid=IwAR0XMtvabd5WSmGkvVzqB0HHeXeF1DJq_P3XFC8ZPBSR_vnhZQQURxe5gPs&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=paid+social&utm_source=facebook
52. Do a Pub Quiz from the comfort of your own home -https://www.ladbible.com/community/interesting-company-live-streams-pub-quiz-during-social-distancing-20200319?source=facebook
53. Take a tour of the NHL Hall of Fame - http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25206
54. Much Music posted all the of Intimate and Interactive performances (does it make us old that we actually saw these in real time?) - http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=25206
55. Spread some joy and chalk up your side walk with positive messages for people who are out getting some fresh air.
56. Learn the Law. The Supreme Court is offering all kinds of (fun) reading - https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/supreme-court-offers-light-reading-for-house-bound-canadians-during-covid-19-crisis/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1585082793
57. Do some I SPY with these awesome printable tests - www.papertraildesign.com
58. Michelin-Star Chef Massimo Bottura Is Offering Free Cooking Lessons On His Instagram - https://secretmiami.com/massimo-bottura-instagram-classes/
59. Catch up on your WWE for free - https://watch.wwe.com/
60. Visit the zoo from the comfort of your own home - https://www.assiniboinepark.ca/zoo/home/plan-your-visit/upcomingevents
61. Get that Ivy League education you've always wanted with free courses Harvard, Yale and more - https://curiocity.com/edmonton/lifestyle/learn-for-free-with-online-courses-from-yale-harvard-and-more/?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-curiocityedmonton&utm_content=later-6060647&utm_medium=social&utm_source=instagram
62. Take in a local show from your couch - www.starlitesessions.com
65. Learn how to play an instrument through Fender Guitars. They are offering three months of free lessons - https://try.fender.com/play/playthrough/
66. Not safe for kids: Play Cards Against Humanity with your friends virtually! - https://www.ladbible.com/technology/technology-you-can-now-play-cards-against-humanity-online-with-your-mates-20200328
67. More concerts to watch from the comfort of your own home - https://curiocity.com/calgary/entertainment/another-list-of-quarantine-concerts-you-can-watch-online-this-week-2/?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-curiocityedmonton&utm_content=later-6175841&utm_medium=social&utm_source=instagram
68. Have Dolly Parton read you a bed time story -https://www.nashvillescene.com/arts-culture/books/article/21125375/international-treasure-dolly-parton-will-now-read-us-bedtime-stories
70. Do a daily quiz with Jimmy Carr - https://secretldn.com/jimmy-carr-lockdown-quiz/
71. Hang out with a koala or two - https://koala.net/
72. Live stream some shows from the Met Opera - https://www.metopera.org/user-information/nightly-met-opera-streams/?utm_source=operastreams&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=1920_misc
73. Take a (virtual) trip to Vancouver - https://www.insidevancouver.ca/2020/03/30/virtuallyvancouver-travel-worthy-experiences-from-our-city-to-wherever-you-may-be/?utm_source=Lnk_bio&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=Lnk_bio_referrals&utm_content=virtuallyvancouver
74. Take a free stress management course through Shoppers Drug Mart until June 15 - https://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/home
75. Vancouver didn't do it for ya? Try a tour of Montreal - https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/city-vacations/montreal-virtual-tour
76. Recreate your favorite piece of art with stuff you have at home - https://www.sadanduseless.com/recreated-art/#.XoVmQmNun2w.facebook
77. Listen to Samuel L. Jackson read you a book - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUakLzaboMo&feature=youtu.be
78. Audible is streaming audiobooks for free right now - https://stories.audible.com/start-listen
79. Learn to draw Baby Yoda - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FD_O6AizwEA&feature=share
80. Get your Smart Serve certificate for free during the month of April - https://smartserve.ca/
81. Get caught up in the world of wizarding with Harry Potter at Home -
82. Drive Thru board games in St.Albert - https://www.iheartradio.ca/virginradio/edmonton/trending/st-albert-has-a-board-game-drive-thru-1.11928036
83. Make your favorite Disney Land treats at home - https://www.buzzfeed.com/elenamgarcia/disneyland-just-shared-the-keys-to-the-kingdom-by?utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bffbbuzzfeedtasty&ref=bffbbuzzfeedtasty
84. Take in a virtual moving screening with Metro Cinema - https://www.sonic1029.com/2020/04/09/metro-cinema-launches-virtual-movie-screenings/
85. Have Kevin Conroy read you Batman - https://www.superherohype.com/comics/480211-kevin-conroy-will-read-batman-the-adventures-continue-live-on-instagram#/slide/1
86. How about a musical comedy with Andrew Lloyd Webber? - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdmPjhKMaXNNeCr1FjuMvag
87. Take in a Cirque Du Soliel performance - https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/cirqueconnect
88. Learn how to take better photos - https://www.nikonevents.com/us/live/nikon-school-online/
89. Make Ikea's famous Swedish meatballs - https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ikea-meatball-recipe
90. Take a tour of an Egyptian Tomb - https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/apr/15/egyptian-tomb-ancient-wonders-open-for-virtual-tour-in-lockdown
We will continue to update this list as cool new ways to pass time pop up. Make sure to check back often!
Stay safe, practice social distancing and be well.