Find is a non-profit social enterprise with two goals: providing essential furnishings free of charge to individuals and families who are moving out of homelessness through Housing First, and supplying low-cost, quality furniture and housewares for sale to the public.
We are not a registered charity and we cannot issue tax receipts for donations.
All donations are thoroughly inspected, cleaned and sanitized before being put our for retail. Each item is inspected for safety as well as for any pests, and soft furniture items are professionally steam cleaned.
We also have a partnership with Orkin who come by a few times a month with bed bug sniffing dogs to make sure we are free of any unwanted guests.
We ask that smaller donations be packed in boxes/bins with lids. Please make sure fragile items are packed with care so as to not have items break in transition. We asked that items are clean and in good condition (free of broken pieces, rips and tears).
Please make sure that there is nothing sharp hidden in the box or the item as this is a safety concern for our staff.
If donating clothing, please make sure it is clearly labeled for Bissell Center.
We do not supply boxes for packing.
The short answer is space and safety regulations.
We unfortunately don't have the capacity to test large appliances and we do not have the space to accept large, heavy items such as entertainment units, china cabinets, exercise equipment and older style TVs.
It is also a safety issue for our drivers and swampers and warehouse staff, as they have to lift very heavy items on a regular basis. We take their health and safety very seriously.
As for mattresses, we have no way to properly clean them. We do know that our friends at Redemptive Developments have a recycling program and we often send folks to them.
When we have a clear understanding of what is being donated our team is able to set up the best possible plan for the day. They use this information to plan how many items will be on the truck at a time, schedule the appropriate route for the driving team and set up clear expectations. It just helps us plan for success.
Awesome! Thanks for your support!
If you chose to PICK UP IN STORE, your order will be ready for you at the the Find Retail + Donation Centre at 5120 122 Street NW Edmonton, AB any time during regular business hours. You have seven (7) days from purchase to pick up your items. Items that are not picked up within 7 days will be put back up for sale and no refund will be issued. For pick up, please just let the team know at the front your name and what you are picking up. You may be asked to show your confirmation email.
If you chose DELIVERY, the Find team will reach out to you within two (2) business days to schedule an appointment.
If you chose to have your order SHIPPED, it will be shipped within two (2) business days and we will notify you when it has been sent.
Please note: As of Monday February 13th, Find will no longer be offering delivery from the Find Retail + Donation Centre.
In an effort to streamline services for the Housing First program, Find will no longer be able to offer holds or storage of paid items, nor can we offer delivery from our Retail + Donation Centre. Find Online Boutique will continue to offer delivery.
Knowing how to pack donations for a local organization can be tricky. We want to simplify the process for you by making this handy dandy step by step for all types of items!
General things to keep in mind:
* Keep in mind what we can and cannot accept. For a full list, check out our list here. Please don't include items we don't accept.
* Use sturdy boxes, containers or bags.
* Keep sets together.
* Label items that don't work or have missing pieces.
* Don't over pack boxes - if it is too heavy for you, it is too heavy for us!
* Clean items before donating. There is nothing worse than pulling out a moldy, wet item. Yuck!
* Sharp items must be labeled and securely wrapped for the safety of our processing team.
* Label heavy items/boxes as such.
* Use bags/boxes/containers that you don't need back.
* Bag or box similar items together.
* Please keep assembled furniture assembled as much as possible.
* Keep hardware together and tape to the item.
* Please label all parts that go with the piece of furniture.
* If the pieces come apart, please label the pieces so we know what all goes together.
* Please give soft furniture items a quick vacuum or lint role before donating.
Glass or Fragile Items
* Please wrap items individually in newspaper or other packaging that can be reused by our team.
* Clearly label boxes as fragile.
* Please consider how heavy the boxes are so they don't get dropped.
* Please do not donate broken items as it is dangerous for our staff to put hands into a box with broken glass or ceramic.
* Please make sure items are clean.
* Please keep items together (lids, spoons, etc.) or make note that there are multiple pieces to the item.
* Please mark if the item is in working condition or not. We accept both, but it helps us to know what needs to be tested and what does not.
* Make sure all the pieces are with the item and if something is missing, please make a note on the item.
* If there is glass or a light bulb with the item, please make sure to securely wrap those pieces so they do not get broken in transition.
* Please label if board games or puzzles are missing pieces.
* Tape or use a rubber band to secure boxes so items don't fall out.
* We accept small electronics for recycling. Please makes sure to label accordingly.
* Erase the data or remove your hard drive prior to donating computers and electronics.
We accept clothing donations on behalf of the Bissell Centre.
* Please have clothing in bags and not boxes.
* Label bags "Bissell Centre" so we know where these items should go.
* Please make sure all clothing is in new condition or cleaned and gently used.
All of these tips help make our process safer and more efficient which means that more items can help more people. We appreciate your time and effort in helping us to make the most out of your donations.
If you have questions about a donation that you might have, please feel free to reach out to our team by calling 780 988 1717 any time during regular business hours.
Thank you for helping Find end homelessness in Edmonton!
Find has a fleet of 3 trucks that are used for delivering items to Housing First participants and customers, as well as picking up furniture donations.
They are 24 foot Hino 338. 2 are 2013 and 1 is 2017. Each truck is 8 feet tall and * feet wide.
Each truck is equipped with radios, mirrors, back up indicators, seat belts, transmission, dolly, blanket straps, load bars, door wedges, truck blocks, tools, cones, and safety equipment.
Our trucks go for regular maintenance and are inspected daily by our team.
1. We practice social distancing which means you must stay 6 feet apart when able. We will have directional signage down, as well as distance markers to make this easier for everyone. Please consider this when asking staff for help, moving by customers on the floor and waiting in line. This also means our staff cannot help you load items into your car. The team can load the item or you can load or own items, but we cannot assist as per social distancing rules.
2. We recommend that masks are worn at all times. Our retail staff have masks/guards and gloves available to them at all times.
3. Please use hand sanitizer provided and wash your hands.
4. We have widened our lane ways to create more space for our customers and will also have laneways that are one way only. Please be cautious and follow directions and signs.
5. We ask that you only touch items you intend to purchase. Because of the large volume we have onsite, we cannot individually sanitize each piece every day. Please take the proper precautions to clean all purchased items once you get them home.
6. We prefer debit/credit transactions to cash transactions, but understand that some folks need to use cash.
7. If you are sick or experiencing any of the the following symptoms, we ask that you stay home: dry cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, fever, drowsiness, tiredness or chest pains, pink eye.
8. We will be limiting bathroom use to emergency situations only.
9. We will have staff onsite to help you navigate through the aisles, wipe down carts and surfaces, offer hand sanitizer, answer questions and clean commonly touched areas.
We understand that waiting and following these guidelines can be frustrating, but we want to remind everyone that we are doing this for your best interest as well as ours. Find does not tolerate abusive behavior towards staff, other customers, donors or our clients. If you display these behaviors, you will be asked to leave. We are all in this together, so please practice patience and understanding.